Saturday, April 7, 2012

RUBY SOHO


"Pic de Rosu" by Anita Inverarity
When my mother was a little girl, her mother threw plates down the hall at her children and dumped out all their drawers when their socks weren’t matched up right.

When I was a little girl, my mother threw candles at me and had the quickest back-hand mouth-crack east of the Mississippi.

Now I’m old enough…hell, past old enough, to have had my first child.  I haven’t, due to my propensity for choosing boys over men, but there are still plenty of opportunities to discover that the maternal apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Yesterday, I stared coldly at a ten-year old girl while tears tracked down her face and dripped off her nose.  I mocked her and laughed as she screamed.  Her pain and anguish were my vindication and I reveled in them.  Hearing her shriek “Mommy” over and over was just the beginning. 

Snap was in need, so like any good friend I hastened to her rescue with my Cavalier.  The mission was simple: an afternoon’s worth of rides about town to see a friend in the hospital and visit various stores.  A favor, perhaps, but also a chance to chat and catch up.  Okay, great, no problem.  The catch?  Her girls were coming with us.

Bitches don't know 'bout my Microsoft Paint skills.
Snap’s “girls” are angels when they’re sleeping: beautiful, at peace, cherubic cheeks curving beneath feathers of lashes.  When awake, they’re hell-fiends with an annoyance agenda; funny little hell-fiends who never cease to amaze me, but baby she-devils nonetheless.  I love hanging out with them for a couple hours, after which I start wondering if drugging them with Benadryl is really child abuse or just, you know, pre-medication against the threat of attacking allergens.

So we all squeeze in to my 2-door silver chariot, listening to the wheezes and groans of 130 aging horses as they prepare for yet another afternoon of suburban stop-and-go.  The girls are comfortably ensconced in the back seat with my winter coat (it’s now spring), my late-fall hoody (spring), my Chuck Taylors (I took them off the first day it was warm enough for flip-flops and forgot to bring them upstairs), a pillow I stole from a Comfort Inn in the mountains (because, you know, what if I’m on a long trip somewhere and really really need a nap), several pairs of socks (flip-flop weather is a demanding mistress, but so are work shoes…it’s complicated), a first aid kit (that at least makes sense), a bag with some of those Tide pod things in it and a Yankee Candle (thanks Mom!), plastic water bottles in various states of fill (hey, there’s still water in those, water doesn’t go bad…right?), a pair of high heels (???), a Vera Bradley lunch bag with tanning lotion and a towel stuffed in it, a map of the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, a map of the national armpit that is New Jersey, lost pens, mutilated sticky pads, the lost Dead Sea Scrolls, the bloated corpse of a hooker, the secret life of bees, and your mom. I don’t have kids, so I use my back seat to hoard things.  If you think that’s bad, you should see my trunk.
 
Like this, but the opposite.
But I digress.

First stop is Southwest Philly (which henceforth shall be known as “Southwest” whereas the region I hail from is called “The County”) to pick up a bag of personals for a friend in the hospital.  Everything is going swimmingly.  The girls are behaving, playing with each other with minimal noise while Snap and I catch up.  I’m at ease, enjoying the cool spring breeze through the windows and singing along to the radio.  We pull up in front of said friend’s house in Southwest, Snap pops out and says “Be right back! Be good, girls!”  I shoot a smile at Ruby and May in the rearview mirror and listen to the chatter of innocents.  The minutes tick by.  The girls and I chat it up, their quick little minds darting all over the place like a nipped-up cat chasing a string.

Snap gets back in, bag in tow.  Peace continues to reign benevolently throughout the Cavalier.  But whispers of discontent are beginning to emerge.

“Mommy, when are we going home?”

“Oooh, McDonald’s, I’m HUNGRY!”

“Ruby STOP! Moooom, she’s hitting me”

*malevolent giggles*

“OW May, that really hurt!”

*fake tears*

“GIRLS! KNOCK IT OFF!”

We pull up in front of the old Catholic hospital and I let Snap out at the lobby. 
“I promise, I shouldn’t be more than ten minutes.”

I find a parking spot miraculously within eyeshot of the door and pull in.  Backseat shenanigans continue, but I try to keep redirecting them into thumb wars and not break-your-thumb wars.  I bust out the secret stash of sour gummy whatevers I have in my console and pass them around, each of us picking our favorite colors (I always bogard the blue ones).  May takes purple and says they taste like grape.  Ten minutes pass, and then ten minutes more.  After that I lost track.

“Mooooommmmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!”

What. The. Fuck. My. Fucking. Ears. *various expletives that would make a 13-year-old boy on Xbox Live blush*

Remain calm…glance in the rearview; see the subtle smirk quirking at the corners of Ruby’s mouth.
“Ruby, hon, you can’t scream in the car like that.  It hurts my ears.”
“MOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY”

Repeat.

“Ruby, stop it.  You know your mom is inside and can’t hear you.  You are hurting my ears besides.”
*giggles from the backseat*

“Ruby, if you don’t stop, I won’t take you girls to the park this week.”

*return to former shenanigans*

My capacity to momentarily subdue a ten-year-old girl innervates me with such a vast amount of unwarranted self-importance that the feeling spills out and infects a pair of passing interns, causing them to think they are Dr. Jonas Salk and Dr. Gregory House.  They went on to cause several patients irreparable harm (read: kill) due to the experimental vaccination and incorrect (but wittily delivered!) diagnoses.

Eventually, Snap emerged from the hospital.  As we drove, the girls nodded off, entering that blissful and careless backseat sleep that only children are capable of (adults being too busy worrying about their knees, the driver’s incompetence and holding in burrito farts).  Snap and I relaxed, talking about grown up things without fear of sharp little ears and tactless big mouths.  The tires collected miles while the checklist of errands became a list of accomplishments.  

“Dude, I’m going to pee my pants, and I'm out of cigarettes.  I need to stop somewhere.” 

Very Important.
 It’s a little known fact that Wawa is the best place to take a piss in public.  The restrooms are the cleanest in my experience; they frequently have those really good hand driers that blast the fuck out of your hands AND paper towels, and there is almost never anyone else in them.  They don’t have that weird public bathroom smell either.  Strictly class.  Plus, they have banging green tea and they always have Camel Lights on sale. 

I pulled into a Wawa and pee-pee danced my way into the restroom.  Cigarettes, tea and pee all taken care of, I walk back to the parking lot and see two little girls stretching beside my car.  Just when  I thought it was safe.  Oh well, only a few more stops and they’re rested.  What could go wrong?
We all piled back in and pulled back into the river of Friday rush hour.  The girls are rarin’ to go again, but Snap and I are getting tired.  “Girls, stop” is the refrain.  The verses are “When are we going home?”, “I’m hungry!”, “Can you roll up the window, I’m cold!”, and “Mooom, tell Ruby/May to stop hitting me!” This discordant song swells as the day’s final destination approaches.

Snap walks into a store while I wait in the car with the girls.  The volume of their play is crescendoing when:

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

Holy fucking Hell Jesus Mary and all the saints why?  I touch my neck briefly to feel for the blood I’m sure is pouring from my ears.

My head whips around so fast it’s still spinning in another dimension.

Ruby in that same dimension.
“Ruby, you have GOT to be kidding me.  I’ve told you over and over today to stop doing that.  It hurts my ears and the car is NOT a place to scream in.”  I left off “unless you’re about to crash into something”.  She’s only ten after all.

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

“RUBY, your mom is inside, she can’t hear you, STOP.”

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

“ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?”

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

*Flips radio volume up too loud*

“Oh my God, stop!  Turn that down now!”

“Ha ha, you don’t like it do you?  How does it feel when something is too loud?  Aw, what’s wrong Ruby, you don’t like it?”

Even louder: “MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

*Turns volume up further*

*Twisted up face (precursor to tears) appears*

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

*Turn volume up to max and start to sing along at top of lungs*

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”
 
“MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!”

“Oh my God, I HATE YOU.  You’re such a BRAT.  I’m going to tell my Mommy what you did.”

“Really Ruby, what are you going to tell her?  That you wouldn’t stop screaming so I turned the radio up?  I’ll tell her myself when she gets back, and she’ll say you shouldn’t have been screaming.”

*Tears commence*

“I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU YOU’RE MOMMY’S WORST FRIEND YOU’RE SO STUPID YOU’RE SUCH A BRAT I HATE YOU!!!”

*Laughter roils up from my belly and spills into her tear drenched face while the music blares against the windows*

“I’m a brat?  What does that make you?”

“I DON’T CARE, YOU’RE HORRIBLE, I HATE YOU, I’M NOT TALKING TO YOU, I HATE YOU SO MUCH.”

“Awww, Ruby, you think I care if a ten-year-old hates me?  Are you trying to hurt my feelings?  That’s so cute.”

*Little feet start slamming into the back of the passenger’s seat*

“Stop kicking my seat Ruby.  If you break it, it’s going to be your Mommy who has to pay for it.  Do you really want to do that to her?”

*Slamming feet stop and full blown sobbing commences*

*Helena Beat comes on and I sing along*

2 comments: